On July 14, 1936, the Ladies Auxiliary of Engine Company No 1 had their first meeting. Their bylaws read that any Mother, Wife, Daughter or Sister of a member of Engine Company No. 1 would be accepted into the Auxiliary. In the years of 1936 through 1940, we assisted our Fire Company in various bingos, dances, chief's dinners and serving coffee whenever the fire was a sizeable one. In 1952 The Ladies Auxiliary of Engine Company No. 1 joined The New Jersey State Ladies Firemen's Auxiliary. The Ladies Auxiliary of Engine Company No. 1 were instrumental in forming the Middlesex County Ladies Auxiliary. Claire Miller, Etta Reichenbach, and Rose Meade contacted Auxiliaries in the County and on August 31, 1955, an organization meeting was held in the South River Firehouse. We had fifteen auxiliaries present at this meeting. Claire Miller was elected as the first President of the Middlesex County organization. On December 11, 1959, our name changed to the Ladies Auxiliary of the South River Fire Department enabling us to include membership from three fire companies.
The Summit Ladies Auxiliary
Organized in November 1971, the Summit Ladies Auxiliary was formed to support the Summit Engine Company, which is housed separately from the other fire companies. Its activities include participation in many of the Department's social and fund-raising activities, as well as providing refreshments at the scene of major fires. Its membership included several people who were part of the original Ladies Auxiliary, and have served in this supporting role for many years.