Engine Company #1

Engine Company #1 was originally organized as Protection Hook and Ladder, along with Washington Hose Company on February 24, 1896. The first equipment was mounted on a hand-drawn wagon which was housed in the first firehouse located on Ferry St.

In 1921, Protection and Washington companies combined to form Engine Company #1, and in 1924, the George St. firehouse was completed. In 1929, the Borough of South River purchased a Mack fire truck for Engine Company #1 equipped with ladders that could reach 60 feet.

On April 27, 1959, a new White/Theibuilt ladder, callsign "Blu 2," was purchased for Engine Company #1. This ladder served the Borough until 1982 when the Borough purchased a Ladder Tower Incorporated 85 foot platform. This was now the age of "Ladder Tower 1."

In 1997, Ladder Tower 1 came back from a complete overhaul with a 1500gpm pump, 200 gallon water tank, 10kW generator, and refurbished aerial. Ladder Tower 1 is still proudly serving the Borough of South River. The Tower has a full complement of extrication equipment as well as a plethora of fire suppression gear.